Mike informed me tonight that there is a job opportunity which would likely move us to Denver. Denver. Of all places.
I know I've said for the last year that I'm willing to go anywhere and that I'd actually enjoy raising our boys outside of Utah and in the mission field... But when the prospect is actually upon us and when it's Colorado, I'm unsure. It's disappointing I suppose. I was hoping for somewhere exiting like Maryland or DC. I don't want to leave highland. I don't want to leave my neighborhood. My ward. My home. My Mom. Our schools. Our friends. Daniel's friends. The temples. Crossfit highland. All the people we know. Our comforts and proficiencies. I'm really happy here. Really happy. Every time we go more than five mikes away and come home, I give a sigh of relief and my heart leaps. I really do love highland and our life here. I'm grateful for every single day that we've had here. I know I struggled when our house was worth $200,000 less than what we paid for it. But even that was worth it. I'm glad we moved in when we did instead of waiting two years to get a good deal. Every day has been worth it and been a gift. Mike and I really do feel very grateful to live here and are very comfortable and content here.
With that said. Living out-of-state would be good for our family. It would be good for our children. We would have many opportunities to serve and to be missionaries. It would provide us with opportunities to teach, and to be examples. It would refresh and rejuvenate our family. It would be hard in different ways, but overall it would be good for us.
I guess when I say that I'm willing to go anywhere, I am. But I've got to admit, we've got a really good life here in Utah and we're in no hurry to leave it.
Make every day count. Enjoy friends. Live it up. Make the most of every opportunity. Embrace the moments.
We have left no page unturned in Utah. We have lifted up. We've had passes everywhere, we've done a ton of fun things, we've made the most of every day we've had in Utah. It has been such a privilege and a blessing to live in Utah. I've had 17 years here and I love every day here. It is home to me. Every time I come back into the state I give a sigh of relief and feel grateful for the opportunity to be surrounded by so many amazing, kind, obedient people who are really trying to go what's right.
With that said, Highland doesn't need us. Highland has enough good, strong families. There are other places in the world that could use a strong family like ours and though I am very comfortable and happy where we are, I am willing to go wherever we're needed. I am willing to sacrifice the temporary and fleeting conveniences, acquaintances, pleasures, and joys of our cushy and comfortable life to be a useful, dependable, and trustworthy instrument in his hands. I am willing to take a pay cut, to move/ downsize, and do whatever it takes for Mike to have a job that he feels a sense of fulfillment, satisfaction, and pride in. Satisfaction, contribution, helping, serving, and living lives of sacrifice are more important and lasting than a gorgeous backyard, amazing schools, a neighborhood of friends, 4000 ft.² of living area, a 3 car garage, a gas stove, etc. if we live right now, if we sacrifice and consecrate our lives to his work and not to our pleasure and convenience, what we have now will seem like a major downsize compared to a fraction of what we will enjoy for eternity.
If jan 15 taught me anything, it's that life is very short and very fragile and every day is a gift from a merciful father in heaven. These days are not our own and few as they may be, we will have a very Long time to look back on them and reflect upon them either with joy and satisfaction, or with regret and guilt. Fancy houses, cars, vacations, and clothes are nice, pleasurable, and very, very enjoyable. But in heaven, the things that will bring me pride and confidence before The Lord are:
How many people did I go out of my way to help? How many people did I teach about Jesus? How many heavy laden hands did I lift? How many people that I share the gospel with? How many Books of Mormon did I hand out? Was my life a living testimony of Christ and of his plan of happiness? Was I kind, tender, and full of love? Was I obedient to ALL of God's commandments?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment