Wednesday, August 17, 2022

James' Eagle Recommendation

 To Whom It May Concern,

I’m delighted to write a letter of recommendation for James Ball! I met

James this summer at Philmont. When I found out he was in the same

council as I am and that he had attended National Youth Leadership

Training (NYLT), I wanted him on course with me. I was the assistant

scoutmaster for and planning NYLT for Crossroads of the West Council

since November 2021. It was weeks away and I was confident that James

would be a great contribution to the team. My observations of working

with him showed how well he lives the scout law.

Our youth staff had been meeting since January 2022. James met four of

our youth staff at Philmont. When I invited James to join our staff, he

asked me, “What will I do on staff?” “I’m not sure,” was my reply. “But I’ll

find something for you.” Our youth staff roles were all filled. I just knew

he would be a good fit and contributor.

James had one zoom call with the staff, prior to the staff arriving to camp.

He arrived and fit right in. We assigned him to some quartermaster

duties and he fit right in. He was very quiet and I was concerned that he

wasn’t fitting in or didn’t feel like a part of the team. Our staff had a code

we could ask to find out their mental status. “What is your number?” 1-3

is very low stress. 4-6 feeling stress and pressure, but it is under control.

7-8 high stress and anxiety. 9-10 mental breakdown. After observing

James’ quiet behavior on day two, I asked him his number. He said it was

a 2-3. I talked to him about how he was fitting in. He was at peace with

staff and with how everything was happening. I was impressed with how

he could easily understand the schedule, follow it, and contribute.

As the other adult leaders got to know James, he was given more duties.

He was given lessons to teach the participants. James didn’t stress about

it. He carefully prepared the lessons and presented them really well. He

was certainly TRUSTWORTHY. We were confident in giving him more

responsibility.

James hadn’t been a part of the planning of flag ceremonies, campfires,

cheers and so on. He quickly learned and participated in every silly or

goofy antic, song or skit the staff did. He was LOYAL to the staff.

James is quiet, but quick to smile and accept others. He showed


KINDness and FRIENDLIness to the staff and participants. James is very

capable, but shows no arrogance of ego.

Spending 9 days running an NYLT course with James gave me a unique

experience to observe him. I was so grateful to have him on course and

know that he represents the values of scouting.

I’m proud of James for finishing the requirements for the Eagle Rank.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,


Mary Jane Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment