Sunday, February 5, 2012

Grateful

Last week in Sacrament, the speaker (age 65) spoke briefly of the pains of losing his first wife to illness but then of the gratitude he had that the Lord had seen fit to bless him to remarry.

I've been thinking so much about this. Mike and I were some of the last of friends to get married. There were multiple periods of time where I thought I might not marry in my 20s. I had been promised I would marry in this life but was doubtful of the timeliness.
Then again, a few years after being married and then trying for 18 mo to get pregnant and once again knowing we had been promised the blessing of bearing children but not knowing when that would happen. Both were times of unknowing and often times of tested faith.

But both have come. And frankly, much sooner than anticipated. And definitely sooo MUCH more amazingly than ever expected, hoped or dreamed for. I am continually amazed and thankful to be married but especially to be married to Mike. He continually impresses me. The more I get to know him, the more experiences we share together, the more years we spend with each other, the more I am amazed at how right he is for me and at what a good human being he is. He has a good spirit. He is a generous, kind, accepting, caring, and patient soul. Plus, he's fun. He's my friend- my best friend- and I LOVE to spend time just with him.

I'm so grateful to be a Mother. I gain so much joy in my boys. They are the little delights of my life and I am continually amazed at the wonder of being their Mom. Of being able to be home with them to spend time, teach, get to know, and share life together.

It really is a miracle to me that a Loving Heavenly Father has seen fit to bless me so much with people who are so special to me. To surround me with such good souls. To fill my heart with love for them. The talk "An High priest of Good things to come-- Holland" pops into my mind frequently. Here's a quote from it: Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come.


I just am so grateful that they came soon. That these blessings came to me in this lifetime. Both marriage and family/ motherhood. I just ask what I am doing with these blessings? Am I enjoying, appreciating, nurturing, building, and taking full advantage? They won't always be here like they are now. My precious little boys will too soon leave the nest and cleave unto a wife of their own. Mike and I will someday be separated by death for (hopefully) a short time. What am I doing with these blessings that are within arms reach, a tender kiss, or a big hug at any time of day or night? Am I enjoying sufficiently? Am I taking care of them tenderly? Am I smiling, laughing, and playing hard enough? Am I focusing enough on the tender ones in my home or am I easily distracted by the appeals of the world? Am I sufficiently showing gratitude in the way that I treat and take care of my direct family and of all of those with whom I come in contact?

No comments:

Post a Comment