May 4th: Called to serve as Primary President (right before Sacrament meeting at 1pm)
June 1: Presidency sustained in Sacrament meeting
Dear Sisters, It's been a little over two weeks since my call and I am still experiencing a conglomeration of feelings! Shock at the nature of the calling, disbelief that I of all the amazing sisters in the ward have been called, feelings of total inadequacy in my abilities, and finally, intimidation by the stalwart children, the amazing teachers, and the three of you! You are all beautiful, amazing, talented women of whom I have so much to learn... In fact, one of the first statements out of Mike's mouth when I told him who my counselors are, was: "They're both older (and wiser, and more experienced, and better qualified) than you." So true!
June 1: Presidency sustained in Sacrament meeting
Dear Sisters, It's been a little over two weeks since my call and I am still experiencing a conglomeration of feelings! Shock at the nature of the calling, disbelief that I of all the amazing sisters in the ward have been called, feelings of total inadequacy in my abilities, and finally, intimidation by the stalwart children, the amazing teachers, and the three of you! You are all beautiful, amazing, talented women of whom I have so much to learn... In fact, one of the first statements out of Mike's mouth when I told him who my counselors are, was: "They're both older (and wiser, and more experienced, and better qualified) than you." So true!
With that said, of all the feelings I'm having,
by far the most predominant is total excitement and joy! I'm super excited to
work together as we teach and inspire the impressive children in our ward and
neighborhood. There will be stressful and demanding times, but I'm looking
forward to connecting with and being involved in their lives. I consider this a
valuable opportunity to serve and I'm grateful and excited for the
responsibility. Finally, I'm looking forward to learning with and from
each of you.
When I was called, Bishop Galloway gave me 3
bits of beneficial counsel (of which I paraphrase):
1) This may be the only time and place that some
of these children hear and are taught the gospel. It's principles are meant to
be repeated and retaught over and over. As the children are taught, they will
draw strength and power from its teachings in years to come
2) Delegate! As you probably know, I'm expecting
baby Ball #4 the first part of November, of which I readily informed the
bishop, and to which he calmly responded with a 'congratulations and that's why
you have counselors.' I took that to heart and am relieved to have 3 very
responsible, smart, and capable sisters to collaborate with!
3) That Primary needs to be a place of Love. It
is of upmost importance that the children feel our love for them and our
Savior's love for them. With that in mind, and as I considered each sister in
the ward, I'd say that love is a defining quality of each of you. I always feel
uplifted and happier in your presence and I'm grateful that the children in our
primary will be able to bask in that warmth and love as well.
So, thank you. Thank you for being to willing
and happy to accept such a demanding calling at this time in your lives and for
being willing to share of yourselves with so many!
Now, onto business. Luckily we have some time to
get our ducks in a row before the big day! I'm assuming that whoever extended
your call informed you that due to Memorial Day weekend, the bishopric will
wait an additional week to make the changes. The bishop has asked that at that
time (Sunday, June 1) the new presidency steps in and hits the ground running.
I don't know if any of you have read the primary section in the handbook-- it's
really good but kind of vague! It lists things that need to happen in primary
but it doesn't go into any detail on who should do what. Apparently we get to
pick what we're interested in and/ or good at. Here's a general list of
responsibilities and where I thought they could be dispersed:
Robin: Teacher training, Annual
teacher training, Faith in God program
Lucy: Achievement days, 11 year old
scouts, Priesthood preview, Music/ Primary Program
Lyne: Cub scouts, Baptisms/ “Great to
be Eight” program, Nursery
Jacinda: Rolls/ attendance/
move-ins, Sharing time assignments, Budget, Newsletter, Birthdays, RS
liaison, mailbox
Everyone: Teacher staffing, Mothers/
Father's Day
Look over the list and we'll make changes/
finalize it at our 1st presidency meeting.
Additionally, we'll need to discuss how we'd
like to break down sharing time. I'm aware of 3 main options: 1) each member
take a month, 2) rotate weekly amongst the 3, 3) two rotate sharing time for
the month and the 3rd is in the hallway/ classrooms. Meanwhile, Jacinda, you'll
be plenty busy monitoring the hallways, updating paperwork, etc, etc.
I'd like to get together sometime this week or
the first part of next week. What are your schedules like/ what days and times
work best for everyone? Thank you! Robin
No comments:
Post a Comment