So, where do we take refuge in this trial?
Last Mother's Day, our bishop Galloway gave a shocking but poignant analogy. While stopped at a red light, he observed a small sparrow-type bird running out of the rain and under the car parked directly in front of the bishop. Unfortunately this cold, wet, scared bird snuggled right up next to the front of one of the two back tires. Feeling safe and satisfied in his choice. But what then? What happened to that fragile little bird when the light turned green and that car accelerated forward?
Obviously the bird was destroyed. His crushed little body, no longer finding refuge in the very thing that destroyed him. Left there to rot and to be further demolished by additional traffic.
Where will you take refuge when I am gone?
TV? Video games? The iPad? Moping in your bedroom? Anger? Hatred? Fear? Depression? Being mean? Over-eating? Blocking everyone out? Hitting?
Or, will you choose refuge in a safe, warm, cosy nest built snuggly in a big and healthy tree?
Will you lean on your family for support, help, strength, and understanding?
Will you turn to the Lord in prayer?
Will you reach out your hand to Heavenly Father to gently hold and lead along?
Will you take yourself with sleep and a healthy lifestyle?
Will you go to the temple to draw strength within it's walls? I guarantee, that if I have my choice in the matter, I will be holding babies, playing tag with kids, running the fields playing ultimate frisbee with friends, comforting others, visiting you, and serving in the temple. I LOVE the temple. One of the greatest blessings for me was going through the temple before meeting Mike and/or starting a family. I have hours, days, and weeks within those walls. I have lost count, but even during my months on bedrest followed by breastfeeding, based on all those visits as a singe, I have probably been to the temple for initiatories, sealings, and endowments over 150 times, plus and additional 50 for baptisms and conversions. I love the temple. It sanctifies and draws us nearer to God.
Please, I beg of you, don't be a dead, smashed, rotting carcass of a bird. You can be much, much more!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment