Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Dec Notes

In thinking about my past, I guess I always do this time of year when the Christmas cards start rolling in. I was thinking about how there were two kinds of members in our ward: those who judged and avoided my siblings and I because of the home we were raised in and those like the Mortensen's who embraced, helped, and loved me as their own.They opened their home and their hearts to me, and they changed lives because of it. I will forever be grateful to them and to the warmth I received from them. 
I was and still am rough around the edges, a bit crude and calloused, and I don't always make the greatest choices. But amidst all that I'm trying. And while I was feeling especially down, I clearly felt this:
"Yes, Robin, but you have a good heart."
If I have to choose just one singular thing to be good at, it would be my heart.

Mike and I were blessed to have enough time to do a session at the temple. And of all people, they chose us to be the Witness couple. Of all the times we've been, we've only been asked one other time. It kind of meant a lot to me and my eyes got watery. As the officiator was giving us instructions before the session, all of a sudden a spiritual blanket was wrapped around my shoulders and I felt the words: "you are loved."
One of those annual, maybe semiannual enveloping if love from my HF.

Knowing the enemy/ your opponent.
Cold War and Vietnam we didn't know our enemy we'll enough.
Wiles: cunning, etc
Armor: protection from weapons
Grab the sword (word of god) and go out into the world moving forward (the only offensive weapon we have)
ALWAYS act on a feeling or thought to do good. That's the spirit. Weather it came from you or someone else.
Like me, this person feels...

Opportunities to serve are limitless but perishable. Make use of the means He has sent us. Be up and doing.
What will our gift be to Him this holiday season? Standing in lines and shopping in stores or lifting others with the light of?

"He not only made friends, he made warm friends
Aristocracy of righteousness

Christmas: "It's not the giving. It's not the getting. It's the loving." Garfield from a Garfield Christmas.

Life has made my mom beautiful it has made her a gem. I'm glad we have a couple years to enjoy basking in her radiation. She's my hero and I hope I'll be half the grandma that she is. She really has her priorities straight. She lets the kids make messes, she doesn't have temporal side projects, she's focusing on her mission, she watches the boys at least one a week. But the most amazing thing to me is the boys ALWAYS want to see her. They adore her. She is always doing some new activity with them. Last week in was chocolate dipped pretzels. 

4th nephi. Where is my heart?
God is a god of miracles. He does not change. Mormon 9 he does not cease to be a God of miracles and gifts.
Ether 3 prayer: We know... Nevertheless, oh Lord... I know thou hast all power and that thou canst do this.
He gives severally and in abundance. Faith. Hope. Mor 10

Our family benefits from Grammy and Grampy's physical legacy but they benefit even more from my mom's Spiritual legacy and posterity.

No comments:

Post a Comment