The Joys of Daily Prayer 11-12 min
Ball Family. 10 year anniversary. Lived here for
7 years. Blessed with 3 boys.
Introduction:
My talk is on The Joys of Prayer. If I heard
that right now, I would automatically zone out and start coloring with my boys.
There are lot of topics I’ve been thinking about would’ve chosen over this one.
But, Prayer is not one of them. Prayer is at the top of my list of “gospel
principles of which I live far below my privileges.
So, I’m grateful for the assigned topic for the
gift of pondering the topic this week. It’s given me a new perspective on the
power that prayer can be in our lives. With that said, my talk is not just on
prayer, nor just the blessings of prayer, but it’s on “the joys of daily
prayer.” The idea of joy in prayer is what I’d like to focus on. Joy defined: A
condition of great happiness coming from righteous living. The purpose of
mortal life is for all people to have joy. A full joy will come only through
Jesus Christ
I’m the checklist prayer. I’m pretty consistent
at praying morning and night and I think about prayer and trying to make them
more heartfelt. Pretty good at going through the motions of morning and night
personal and family prayer. However, I think I use it more as a physical safety
net than spiritual. For example, in Sept I got a phone call from the school
nurse informing me that James had fallen off the slide and had potentially
broken his arm. My first though was: “I didn’t pray this morning.” I’d say I’m
at a 5th grade praying level.
What is Prayer?
President Thomas S. Monson, who said: “To those
within the sound of my voice who are struggling with challenges and
difficulties large and small, prayer is the provider of spiritual strength; it
is the passport to peace. Prayer is the means by which we approach our Father
in Heaven, who loves us. Speak to Him in prayer and then listen for the answer.
Miracles are wrought through prayer”
Proportion. He blesses us in accordance to how
much work we are willing to put forth.
Clear communication. Mike and I were both raised
in homes with hint-dropping. It worked for us and we understood the cues.
However, that gets tricky when dealing with anyone outside of the home. So,
we’ve made it a point to enforce clear communication of emotions and desires.
Lots of times we know what the kid wants, we just need him to come out and say
it.
The Privilege
of Prayer J. DEVN CORNISH
“Little children, young people, and adults
alike, please believe how very much your loving Heavenly Father wants to bless
you. But because He will not infringe upon our agency, we must ask for His
help. This is generally done through prayer. Prayer is one of the most precious
gifts of God to man.”
“When I say that prayer is a sweet privilege, it
is not just because I am grateful to be able to talk to Heavenly Father and to
feel His Spirit when I pray. It is also because He actually answers and speaks
to us. Of course, the way He speaks to us is usually not with a voice we hear.
President Boyd K. Packer explained: “That sweet, quiet voice of inspiration
comes more as a feeling than it does as a sound. Pure intelligence can be
spoken into the mind. … This guidance comes as thoughts, as feelings through
promptings and impressions”
How do we Pray?
On one occasion Jesus’s disciples asked, “Lord,
teach us to pray” (Luke 11:1).
In response, Jesus gave us an example that might serve as a guide to key
principles of prayer (see Russell M. Nelson, “Lessons from the Lord’s Prayers,”
Liahona and Ensign, May 2009, 46–49; see also Matthew 6:9–13;
Luke 11:1–4).
According to Jesus’s example:
We start by speaking to our Heavenly Father:
“Our Father which art in heaven” (Matthew 6:9;
Luke 11:2).
It is our privilege to approach our Father directly. We do not pray to any
other being. Remember that we have been counseled to avoid repetitions,
including using the name of the Father too often as we pray.1
“Hallowed be thy name” (Matthew 6:9; Luke 11:2). Jesus
addressed His Father in an attitude of worship, recognizing His greatness and
giving Him praise and thanks. Surely this matter of reverencing God and giving
heartfelt and specific thanks is one of the keys to effective prayer.
“Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done” (Matthew 6:10; Luke 11:2). We freely
acknowledge our dependence on the Lord and express our desire to do His will,
even if it is not the same as our will. Our Bible Dictionary explains: “Prayer is the act by which the
will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence
with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to
secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to
grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them” (Bible Dictionary,
“Prayer”).
“Give us this day our daily bread” (Matthew 6:11; see also
Luke 11:3). We ask for
those things we want from the Lord. Honesty is essential in requesting things
from God. It would not be fully honest, for example, to ask the Lord for help
on a test in school if I have not paid attention in class, done the homework
assigned, or studied for the test. Often as I pray, the Spirit nudges me to
admit that there is more I should do to receive the help I am asking from the
Lord. Then I must commit and do my part. It is contrary to the economy of
heaven for the Lord to do for us that which we can do for ourselves.
“And forgive us our debts” (Matthew 6:12), or in
another version, “Forgive us our sins” (Luke 11:4). An
essential and sometimes forgotten part of personal prayer is repentance. For repentance
to work, it must be specific, profound, and lasting.
“And
suffer us not to be led into temptation, but deliver us from evil” Thus, in our
prayers we may begin the protective process of putting on the whole armor of God
by looking forward to the day ahead and asking for help with the sometimes
frightening things we may face. do not forget to ask the Lord to protect and be
with you.
“For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and
the glory, for ever” How instructive it is that Jesus concluded this prayer by
praising God again and expressing His reverence for and submission to the
Father. When we truly believe that God rules His kingdom and that He has all
power and all glory, we are recognizing that He really is in charge, that He
loves us with a perfect love, and that He wants us to be happy. I have found
that one of the secrets to a joyful life is to recognize that doing things the
Lord’s way will make me happier than doing things my way.
Faust: First, prayer is a humble acknowledgment
that God is our Father and that the Lord Jesus Christ is our Savior and
Redeemer. Second, it is a sincere confession of sin and transgression and a
request for forgiveness.
Third, it is recognition that we need help beyond our own ability. Fourth, it
is an opportunity to express thanksgiving and gratitude to our Creator. It is important
that we frequently say: “We thank Thee … , “ “We acknowledge before Thee … ,”
“We are grateful unto Thee …” Fifth, it is a privilege to ask Deity for
specific blessings.
Jeremiah counsels us to pray with all our heart
and soul. 8
Enos recounted how his soul had hungered and that he had prayed
all the day long. 9
Prayers vary in their intensity. Even the Savior “prayed more
earnestly” in His hour of agony. 10 Some
are simple expressions of appreciation and requests for a continuation of
blessings on our loved ones and us. However, in times of great personal hurt or
need, more may be required than mere asking. The Lord said, “You have supposed
that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.”
11
Blessings sought through prayer sometimes require work, effort,
and diligence on our part.
Benson: I speak about the power of personal
prayer and how we may improve our communications with our Heavenly Father.
All through my life the counsel to depend on
prayer has been prized above almost any other advice I have received. It has
become an integral part of me, an anchor, a constant source of strength, and
the basis for my knowledge of things divine.
A new take of prayer: Sis Christensen’s
introduced us to seminar by James Cox called Becoming Spiritually Centered and
Overcoming the World. One of his 10 thought patterns is: developing high
feelings of self worth and faith by:
1) understanding
the truth of who you are and how much HF values you. Talk to HF am and pm about
your worth.
2) Hold
the truth in your mind, by prayer, throughout the day (1/hr)
3) Continue
to pray about these truths until you believe them
“I know… help me…”
List of things to pray for went from 100 to the
goal of 500 to the recognition that there is no limit. More like 10,000
Benson May I now suggest some ways
to improve our communication with our Heavenly Father.
1. We should pray frequently. We should be alone
with our Heavenly Father at least two or three times each day, “morning,
mid-day, and evening,” as the scriptures indicate. (Alma 34:21.)
In addition, we are told to “pray always.” (2 Ne. 32:9;
D&C 88:126.)
This means that our hearts should be full, drawn out in prayer unto [our
Heavenly Father] continually.” (Alma 34:27.)
2. We should find an appropriate place where we
can meditate and pray. We are admonished that this should be “in your closets
and your secret places, and in your wilderness.” (Alma 34:26.)
That is, it should be free from distraction, in “secret.” (3 Ne. 13:5–6.)
3. We should prepare ourselves for prayer. If we
don’t feel like praying, then we should pray until we feel like praying. We
should be humble. (D&C 112:10.)
We should pray for forgiveness
and mercy. (Alma 34:17–18.)
We must forgive anyone against whom we have bad feelings. (Mark 11:25.)
Yet, the scriptures warn, our prayers will be vain if we “turn away the needy,
and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart [not] of [our]
substance.”
4. Our prayers should be meaningful and
pertinent. Do not use the same phrases at each prayer. Each of us would become
disturbed if a friend said the same few words to us each day, treated the
conversation as a chore, and could hardly wait to finish it in order to turn on
the TV and forget us.
5. In all of our prayers it is well to use the
sacred pronouns of the scriptures—Thee, Thou, Thy, and Thine—when addressing
Deity in prayer, instead of the more common pronouns of you, your, and yours.
In this arrangement we show greater respect to Deity.
Ether 3: “We know… nevertheless, oh Lord… know thou hast all power and that thou canst
do this…
Eth 3:4. And I know, O Lord, that thou hast
all apower, and can do whatsoever thou wilt
for the benefit of man; therefore touch these stones,
Hand-in-hand with scripture study. Pray as if
everything depends on the lord and act as if everything depends on you.
What should we pray for?
6. For what should we pray? We should pray about
our work, against the power of our enemies and the devil, for our welfare and
the welfare of those around us. (Alma 34:20,
22–25, 27.) We should counsel with the Lord pertaining to all our
decisions and activities. (Alma 37:36–37.)
We should be grateful enough to give thanks for all we have. (D&C 59:21.)
We should confess His hand in all things. Ingratitude is one of our great sins.
7. We should ask for what we need, taking care
that we not ask for things that would be to our detriment. (James 4:3.)
We should ask for strength to overcome our problems. (Alma 31:31–33.)
We should pray for the inspiration and well-being of the president of the
Church, the General Authorities, our stake president, our bishop, our quorum
president, our home teachers, family
members, and our civic leaders. Many other suggestions could be made; but with
the help of the Holy Ghost,
we will know about what we should pray.
God is an unchanging God. Mormon 9: he does not
cease to be a God of miracles and gifts.
What are the blessings we enjoy?
Physical safety. Sometimes I just have to pray and let it go. Young boys, esp Dan has had a lot of close calls. Running into the street, losing control on his bike, etc. Angels do attend us and are closer than we often realize. John Deere/ Bike accident: felt an angel lay me down on the road and I walked away from it. I believe that’s bc I Prayed that am before my ride.
Physical safety. Sometimes I just have to pray and let it go. Young boys, esp Dan has had a lot of close calls. Running into the street, losing control on his bike, etc. Angels do attend us and are closer than we often realize. John Deere/ Bike accident: felt an angel lay me down on the road and I walked away from it. I believe that’s bc I Prayed that am before my ride.
Spiritual Safety/ gifts: Teenagers. I can only
imagine how I will worry about them. Leaders prayed in my behalf and I will be
wearing holes in my jeans when they are out from under my care.
Millet: Pray for. Covet spiritual gifts. Then believe
Strength: leadership callings. I have felt and
even envisioned specific individuals praying for me.
Comfort. Blanket of His love wrapped around me
(5-6 times in my life). Witness couple: “You are loved.”
Hope: An High Priest of Good things to Come (
Oct. 99)
Story of a young dad, moving his wife and 2 kids
2600 miles across the country. No money, car broke down. Walking on the
frontage road. Desolate. Driving past 30 years later in comfort. To any who may
be struggling to see that light and find that hope, I say: Hold on. Keep
trying. God loves you. Things will improve. Christ comes to you in His “more
excellent ministry” with a future of “better promises.” Holland
Last month I had a special experience I’d like
to share: Mike and my mom visiting, chatting, and him helping her with her
phone. Brought my back almost 10 years to when I was single. Graduated.
Teaching. Applying to grad school. With no prospects of a guy anywhere in the
near future. During this transitional time I was living at my mom’s house and
had a few friends over. Mike being one of them… “I like Mike…” I heard what she
was saying and a few days later I decided that I did too. 2 months later we
were married. Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t
come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they
come.- Holland
I would’ve been happier if I had had more faith
and trust in my HF and in his will and His timing. I realize too, that I can be
happier now if I do likewise. If I find joy in the 6 meals I feed my kids
everyday and the mess that each one makes! If I accept the challenges that come
with 3 busy boys and realize that better days are ahead. In the scriptural
phrase his hands did seem to “hang down.” 15 In
that imaginary instant, I couldn’t help calling out to him: “Don’t give up,
boy. Don’t you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and
happiness ahead—a lot of it—30 years of it now, and still counting. You keep
your chin up. It will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good
things to come.” –Holland I testify that God answers prayers.
Mor 10: He gives severally and in abundance. Perfect
moments, Miracles and Tender mercies are all around us! When I heard that I
could only think of a few, but then I started a journal and wrote down daily
tender mercies. Most days a very specific one would stand out to me, whether it
be that my baby slept 30 min longer than usual, etc. Awareness. I believe HF
answers more prayers than we realize. Notice and express gratitude.
Time management: We have to forego some good things in
order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in
the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families. Oaks
At the new year, I’m setting a goal to make not
only make my prayers more heartfelt but to say them with more faith. (I kind of
tried that strategy for a few days and forgot about it). Hope to find Joy in
positive thoughts vs cleaning/ driving/ laundry: I'm so stressed. So much to
do. Can't believe the mess he made. The nerve, who would say that? I'm such
a...
I hope that my prayers will not only be more
heartfelt, but more powerful. I can expect more from my prayers. I can ask more
of my HF. Like the Brother of Jared and like JS in D&C 8, I can ponder
issues out in my mind and then I can go to my HF and present my ideas to Him. I
can hope for approval, support, and power yet ultimately I can trust in His
will and rest assured that He knows best. Expect his help
Some days nothing falls into place and I realize that
maybe I prayed, but it was half hearted. I'm giving back what you gave to me.
Exponentially.
Prayer is the pathway to joy. Catalyst. All we have to go
is ask-- and know how and what to ask “Don’t be afraid to ask” Hope,
believe in the power of God, trust, submit, and find Joy. Joy is not in having
what we want, when we want it. It is found along the way as are obedient, live
righteously, and accept the grace of Jesus Christ.
Testimony: God hears our prayers and He answers
them in His ways and in His time. I know we can find Joy as we put forth the
effort and brainpower, as we acknowledge His Infinite power, as we go to Him in
faith, and as we wait on Him. Blessings do come. Sometimes right when we ask
and other times not until much later down the road.
Souls sincere desire. Strive always to enjoy this ability
to communicate with heavenly father. You will enjoy peace in your heart and
know he answers prayers for you will feel his influence constantly.
Blessings & promises:
Prayer journal
Groberg on Family Prayer: After making a request
through prayer, we have a responsibility to assist in its being granted. We
should listen. Perhaps while we are on our knees, the Lord wants to counsel us.
“Sincere praying implies that when we ask for
any virtue or blessing we should work for the blessing and cultivate the
virtue.” (David O. McKay, True to the Faith, Bookcraft, 1966, p. 208.)
We learn that friends and neighbors come and go
but family is forever, and as we learn this, we find that we are eternally our
brother’s keeper and we begin to realize how much help we need. How we should
thank God for the opportunity of family prayer!
Listen to the admonition of the Savior in Third
Nephi: “Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your
wives and your children may be blessed.” (3 Ne. 18:21.)
Can you detect that if we do not pray in our
families always they may not be blessed—or at least not so fully? If we truly
love our families we will constantly pray for them and with them. I know of no
single activity that has more potential for unifying our families and bringing
more love and divine direction into our homes than consistent, fervent family
prayer.
Think of the power for good as you gather your
family together and thank God for all of his blessings. Think of the eternal
significance of daily thanking him for each member of your family and asking
him to guide and bless and protect each one. Think of the strength that will
come to your family as, daily, one member or another pours out his or her soul
in love to God for other family members.
Of course, our prayers must be more than words,
for as President Marion G. Romney has so clearly stated, “The efficacy of our
prayers depends on how we care for one another.” (Ensign, Nov. 1980, p. 93.)
Family prayer is fully effective, then, only as we rise from our knees and,
with increased love and understanding, take better care of each other.
We all want more love and unity in our families.
We all need more help with some who may be wayward or in special need. We all
desire more assurance of divine guidance and direction.
I promise you that as you consistently and
fervently pray as a family, and as each member takes his or her turn and
sincerely prays for others, impressions will come as to what you individually
should do to help others. Thus, you can, in family prayer, receive personal and
family revelation as to how to love and serve one another:
Ere you left your room this morning,
Did you
think to pray?
In the name of Christ, our Savior,
Did you sue for loving
favor
As a shield today?
(Chorus)
Oh, how praying rests the weary!
Prayer
will change the night to day.
So, when life gets dark and dreary,
Don't forget
to pray.
2. When your heart was filled with anger,
Did
you think to pray?
Did you plead for grace, my brother,
That you might forgive
another
Who had crossed your way?
3. When sore trials came upon you,
Did you think
to pray?
When your soul was full of sorrow,
Balm of Gilead did you borrow
At
the gates of day?
Our Father in Heaven has promised us peace in times of
trial and has provided a way for us to come to Him in our need. He has given us
the privilege and power of prayer. He has told us to “pray always” and has
promised He will pour out His Spirit upon us. (D&C 19:38.) pinegar
Benson
It is soul-satisfying to know that God is
mindful of us and ready to respond when we place our trust in Him and do that
which is right. There is no place for fear among men and women who place their
trust in the Almighty, who do not hesitate to humble themselves in seeking
divine guidance through prayer. Though persecutions arise, though reverses come,
in prayer we can find reassurance, for God will speak peace to the soul. That
peace, that spirit of serenity, is life’s greatest blessing.
I testify there is a God in heaven who hears and
answers prayer. I know this to be true. I would humbly urge all within the
sound of my voice—member and nonmember alike—to keep in close touch with our
Father in heaven through prayer. Never before in this gospel dispensation has
there been a greater need for prayer. That we will constantly depend upon our
Heavenly Father and conscientiously strive to improve our communication with
Him
Pinegar:
The peace God speaks to our minds will let us know when
decisions we have made are right, when our course is true. It can come as
personal inspiration and guidance to assist us in our daily life—in our homes,
in our work. It can provide us with courage and hope to meet the challenges of
life. The miracle of prayer, to me, is that in the private, quiet chambers of
our mind and heart, God both hears and answers prayers.
Perhaps the greatest test of our faith and the most
difficult part of prayer may be to recognize the answer that comes to us in a
thought or a feeling, and then to accept or to act on the answer God chooses to
give. Consistency in prayer, along with searching the scriptures and following
the counsel of living prophets, keeps us in tune with the Lord and enables us
to interpret the promptings of the Spirit more easily. The Lord has said;
“Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you
shall have peace in me.”
There is terrible suffering in our world today. Tragic
things happen to good people. God does not cause them, nor does He always
prevent them. He does, however, strengthen us and bless us with His peace,
through earnest prayer.
Elder Richard L. Evans wrote. “Prayer is not a matter of
asking only. It should not be always as the beggar’s upturned hand. Often the
purpose of prayer is to give us strength to do what needs to be done, wisdom to
see the way to solve our own problems, and ability to do our best in our tasks.
“We need to pray … for strength to endure, for faith and
fortitude to face what sometimes must be faced.”
Our Father in Heaven has promised us peace in times of
trial and has provided a way for us to come to Him in our need. He has given us
the privilege and power of prayer. He has told us to “pray always” and has
promised He will pour out His Spirit upon us.
We cannot imagine the anguish of a loving Father, who,
knowing what had to be done, accepted His Beloved Son’s willingness to suffer
for all mankind. In this agony Christ was not left alone. As if the Father were
saying, “I cannot take it from you, but I can and will send you strength and
peace,” “there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.”
(Luke 22:43.)
If we, like the Savior, have the faith to put our trust in
our Father in Heaven, to submit to His will, the true spirit of peace will come
as a witness and strength that He has heard and answered our prayers.
Sometimes, when our prayers are not answered as we desire,
we may feel the Lord has rejected us or that our prayer was in vain. We may
begin to doubt our worthiness before God, or even the reality and power of
prayer. That is when we must continue to pray with patience and faith and to listen
for that peace.
May we always seek to obtain the Lord’s miraculous gift of
peace through prayer. May we not forget to pray.
McConkie
It is pleasing to that God whose we are when we fast and
pray and seek his blessings; when we plead with all the energy of our souls for
those things we so much desire; when, as Paul says, we “come boldly unto the
throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of
need.”
Prayer is the way and means, given us by our Creator,
whereby we can counsel and communicate with him. It is one of the chief
cornerstones of pure and perfect worship.
In prayer we speak to the Lord, and he speaks to us. It is
our privilege to have our voices heard in the courts above and to hear the
answering voice of the Lord conveyed by the power of his Spirit.
Prayer changes our lives. Through it we draw near to the
Lord, and he reaches out his finger and touches us, so we never again are the
same.
Prayer is a great tower of strength, a pillar of unending
righteousness, a mighty force that moves mountains and saves souls. Through it
the sick are healed, the dead are raised, and the Holy Spirit is poured out
without measure upon the faithful.
In prayer we bind ourselves by solemn covenants to love
and serve the Lord all our days. In it we pay our devotions and offer our
sacraments to the Most High.
It is my faith that all who join in such choruses of
praise and petition, of adoration and thanksgiving, and who strive to live as
they pray, will gain peace in this life and eternal life in the world to come.
Nelson:
Mormon taught his son, Moroni, that we should pray “with
all the energy of heart.” 12 Nephi exclaimed, “I pray continually for [my
people] by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, … and I cry unto my God
in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry.” 13
Alma said, “Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and
he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto
the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the
morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God.” 20
We pray privately, with our families regularly, at
mealtime, and in daily activities. Simply summarized, we are a praying people.
We should pray in accord with the will of our Heavenly
Father. He wants to test us, to strengthen us, and to help us achieve our full
potential.
When to Pray
When should we pray? The Lord said, “Search diligently,
pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your
good.” 19
Alma said, “Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and
he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto
the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the
morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God.” 20
We pray privately, with our families regularly, at
mealtime, and in daily activities. Simply summarized, we are a praying people.
We should pray in accord with the will of our Heavenly
Father. 32 He wants to test us, to strengthen us, and to help us achieve our
full potential. When the Prophet Joseph Smith was held in Liberty Jail, he pled
for relief. His prayers were answered with an explanation: “All these things
shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.” 33
Our Prayer to Thee
We pray to Thee, our Heavenly Father,
With grateful hearts and fond emotion.
We thank Thee for our great Exemplar—
Thy beloved and atoning Son—
Who gave Himself as sacred ransom,
That we could live again with Thee!
Our joy is full, our song so gladsome;
Renew our faith and hope in Thee.
We pray to Thee, our Heavenly Father,
With thankful hearts and adoration.
We thank Thee for our loving Savior,
Who redeemed us from death and sin;
He gave to us His truth to brighten
Our path, to help us walk His way,
To love and serve, to lift and lighten
The lives of all who will obey.
We pray to Thee, our Heavenly Father,
With gratitude and deep devotion
For loving faith and endless splendor—
Eternal glory—bound as one!
We pray for mercy and forgiveness
And hope to know Thy holy will.
We yearn for Thee, we plead in meekness,
Thy trust in us may we fulfill.
The object of prayer is not to change the will
of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is
already willing to grant, but that we must ask for in order to obtain.
Intercessory (John 17:1, 3.)
Scott:
Prayer is a supernal gift of our Father in
Heaven to every soul. Think of it: the absolute Supreme Being, the most
all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful personage, encourages you and me, as
insignificant as we are, to converse with Him as our Father. Actually, because
He knows how desperately we need His guidance, He commands, “Thou shalt pray
vocally as well as in thy heart; yea, before the world as well as in secret, in
public as well as in private.” 1It
matters not our circumstance, be we humble or arrogant, poor or rich, free or
enslaved, learned or ignorant, loved or forsaken, we can address Him. We need
no appointment. Our supplication can be brief or can occupy all the time
needed. It can be an extended expression of love and gratitude or an urgent plea for help. He has created
numberless cosmos and populated them with worlds, yet you and I can talk with
Him personally, and He will ever answer.A key to improved prayer is to learn to
ask the right questions. Consider changing from asking for the things you want
to honestly seeking what He wants for you. Then as you learn His will, pray
that you will be led to have the strength to fulfill it.It helps to find a
secluded place where our feelings can be vocally expressed as long and as
intensely as necessary.
Hinckley
“O God, our Eternal Father, Thou great Judge of
the Nations, Thou who art the governor of the universe, Thou who art our Father
and our God, whose children we are, we look to Thee in faith in this dark and
solemn time. Please, dear Father, bless us with faith. Bless us with love.
Bless us with charity in our hearts. Bless us with a spirit of perseverance to
root out the terrible evils that are in this world. Give protection and
guidance to those who are engaged actively in carrying forth the things of
battle. Bless them; preserve their lives; save them from harm and evil. Hear
the prayers of their loved ones for their safety. We pray for the great
democracies of the earth which Thou hast overseen in creating their
governments, where peace and liberty and democratic processes obtain. “O
Father, look with mercy upon this, our own nation, and its friends in this time
of need. Spare us and help us to walk with faith ever in Thee and ever in Thy
Beloved Son, on whose mercy we count and to whom we look as our Savior and our
Lord. Bless the cause of peace and bring it quickly to us again, we humbly
plead with Thee, asking that Thou wilt forgive our arrogance, pass by our sins,
be kind and gracious to us, and cause our hearts to turn with love toward Thee.
We humbly pray in the name of Him who loves us all, even the Lord Jesus Christ,
our Redeemer and our Savior, amen” (“Till We Meet Again,” Ensign, Nov. 2001,
90).
No comments:
Post a Comment