My stake president really put me in my place today.
I've never loved service projects. I have faithfully attended them. I met Mike at one. I go to them because I'm supposed to. But my heart is anywhere but there.
Up until a couple of years ago, our stake would do a super Saturday for the relief society birthday. It would be filled with amazing speakers and panels. It was spiritually edifying and like a miniature education week.
Well, they did away with that and we now do things like knitting, hygiene kits, new baby kits , etc. I really didn't want to go, and I kind of had a bad attitude about it. But I did want to hear what our stake president had to say. Here's what he had to say: what a beautiful sight to behold. This entire cultural hall filled with bright and shiny women willing to serve their fellow sisters in the world. This is what the gospel is all about. This is the gospel in action. He went on to tell us about a quote in this last month's Ensign, by Pres. Eyring, explaining that the way to know if someone is converted, is when they unselfishly serve those around them. Well if that wasn't a slap in the face for showing up with a bad attitude, I don't know what is...
I suppose this is a good example of faith obedience. I have been blessed for going to service projects, I am blast as I serve even when I don't want to. Now, I think I feel a little bit more love and conversion to the whole idea of hygiene kits, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment